Ships on the Hudson at the Palisades

The sun rises on the New Jersey Palisades with American ships moving slowly along the still water of the Hudson River Valley.  In the distance, at left, is a lighthouse and, at right, a town on the Jersey shore.
This exceptional large view is by Alexander Charles Stuart, 1831-1898. Stuart is recorded as a marine artist who spent his life along the Delaware Valley area where he painted ship portraits. The oil on canvas is a panorama of river life activities and a testament to the prosperous commerce of the period.

Alexander C. Stuart

(1831-1898) was a British-born American painter, specializing in naval scenes. He grew up in Glasgow, served in the British Army, and immigrated to US around 1861. Since then lived and worked on the East Coast of the United States. In the US he served in the Marines and the Navy (Union) until 1866; since then he worked as an artist and illustrator.
In the U.S., Stuart worked primarily on navy bases and shipyards.He also worked quite a bit in Washington, Philadelphia, and New York. According to an account of his life written by Stuart, he had studied engineering and medicine before enlisting in the English Army.
After resigning from the Navy, Stuart began working as an artist and illustrator for the merchant shipbuilding companies. . During this period Stuart produced numerous illustrations of early iron steamships built by these firms. These images became valuable documentary sources for this era of shipbuilding in the U.S., giving Stuart’s work added value.
In 1882, Stuart went to New York, seeking to earn a name and living as an artist in the city. This move did not prove successful. A year later, he moved to Florida.  In 1886, Stuart moved again to the Wilmington area and stayed there until 1895.  His financial condition in the final years of his life saw a decline, but he painted marine subjects until his death in 1898.

Skillfully cleaned and retouched. Overall height is 42″ and width 66″ with the later gilt frame.
Recorded as owned and lent by R. P. Schverin  in 1915 to the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
Later owned by the DeYoung Museum, San Francisco and de-accessioned when the museum changed to a modern vision.
Previously purchased by us from the DeYoung deaccession.
Please call or email for more details and pricing.